Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Christmas Spirit! (I think Keaton found it)


Hey this is Brandon, Jill usually does the blogging or at least directs what is and isn't posted. I just sometimes interject with my random thoughts from time to time.
This is another one of those thoughts.
It's about the Christmas Spirit, and what exactly it is? I think I understand it a little better now, please bare with me while I share a little.
Last year watching my girl Brooklyn, she was fired up about Christmas, she was the first to push me to get the lights up on the house. She was the first to be so excited about delivering treats and such to neighbors.
Most everyone catches the spirit, some just quicker than others, this year as I observe, I see it in Keaton first. He was the first one to get after me to get the lights up on the house. (Me being my lazy self) I told him I needed help to do it this year. He then replied "I can help you Dad... I'm a great helper" Although he was more of a supervisor than a helper. It's that excitement for Christmas they feel.
I think the thing that hit me is when I took him out to go Christmas shopping for his mom, He (being 5 and big now!) knew exactly what he wanted... cost didn't matter, it took some convincing from Dad that Mom didn't want the $3,000 item(at least that it wasn't in the budget)... in the end, he has happy with what he picked out. On the way home, he kept telling me how she was going to love it and how he couldn't wait to wrap it. So he(or we because Dad needed to help a little) wrapped it all nice for Mom when we got home.
...I see the spirit of Christmas in him, "It's that feeling of joy you get when you are getting ready to give a gift to someone you love. The gift is something you know they are going to like, and you anticipate how they will feel. You get excited for them and feel that spirit... The gift can be big, small, or even a simple treat or even something of service. It's just that feeling you feel knowing you are helping them or making them feel good."
Keaton has found it and he has helped me start to find it as well... Thanks Keaton!
...I continually learn from my children, how blessed I am.

No comments: